The Emergency Medical Services Department at Holy Family Memorial offers Manitowoc County the most comprehensive emergency medical care in the area. With a team of full-time, emergency medicine physicians and specially trained ACLS-certified nurses, patients will receive the highest level of care.
Our emergency department is specially equipped to handle cardiac- and stroke-related emergency care:
- Standard protocols are in place to quickly rule out serious heart problems in patients with chest pain or other heart attack symptoms.
- Our emergency team has the ability to quickly consult with our cardiologist.
- Our team includes staff who are qualified to administer “clot-busting” medications for stroke patients, 24/7.
Other features of our emergency department include:
- Pediatric-sized equipment
- Sexual assault treatment program
- Free blood-pressure screening 24 hours a day
- 24-hour laboratory, x-ray and pharmacy coverage
If you experience any of the following symptoms, you should immediately go to the emergency room:
- Chest pain
- Severe shortness of breath
- Intense abdominal pain
- Stroke symptoms including trouble speaking, a sudden headache, confusion or trouble understanding other people, or numbness in your face, arm or leg
- Excessive bleeding
HFM also offers a 10-bed critical care unit staffed by highly trained nurses and monitor technicians. In our critical care unit:
- RNs are certified in advanced cardiac life support
- Chest pain protocols initiated in the emergency room are continued and a work up for cardiac disease can often be completed in 12-24 hours
- State-of-the-art monitoring equipment is used, including intra-aortic balloon pumps
- We bring the element of human caring to a highly technical area
Holy Family Memorial has received the 2016 Women’s Choice Award® as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Emergency Care. This evidence-based designation is the only Emergency Care award that identifies the country’s best healthcare institutions based on robust criteria that considers female patient satisfaction, clinical excellence, and what women state that they want from a hospital.
The list of 360 award winners, including HFM, represents hospitals that have provided exceptional patient care and treatment, signifying HFM, commitment to meeting the highest standards in Emergency Care for women, their families and their community.
“We are very pleased and proud to be recognized with this outstanding honor,” said HFM President and CEO Mark Herzog. “This award recognizes the dedication of our emergency care team’s commitment to provide patients with quality care and excellence during what is often a stressful time.”