It’s not uncommon for individuals with Parkinson’s Disease to experience gait impairments, difficulty in linking movements together smoothly and episodes of freezing. But a new exercise class at HFM’s Wellness Center can help recently diagnosed patients maintain their function and improve balance, as well as strengthen and stretch muscles, gain confidence in performing daily activities, increase walking speed and endurance, and reduce ‘freezing’ and muscle cramping.
- Helps reduce pain & fatigue
- Prevent, identify and manage lymphedema
- Correct postural deviation
- Increase treatment tolerance
- Manage side effects treatment
- Return to pre-treatment levels of strength and fitness
This series of specially designed exercises is led by a physical therapist and exercise specialist. All participants start with an initial assessment, then a personalized program is developed that includes a combination of walking on the treadmill, stretching exercise and strength training. The class fee is $20/month for Wellness Center members and $35/month for non-members. The initial and follow-up assessments are included in the fee. For details on the class and how to register, call the HFM Wellness Center at 320.4600. Classes are held on Tuesdays and Fridays from 1 – 2 p.m
- Train the body and brain
- Strengthen muscles
- Improve balance
- Improve walking speed and distance
- Reduce ‘freezing’ and muscle cramping
Specialized classes and programs for those living with arthritis designed to improve joint flexibility and relieve joint stiffness.
Click here for more details.
Ideal for those who have:
For those who desire a more structured and supervised exercise program. Teaches participants how to exercise safely utilizing water exercise, cardiovascular exercise and resistance training.
- Joint pain and/or inflammation
- Surgical candidates
- Orthopaedic limitations
Classes target middle-aged or older women and include progressive weight training, flexibility, balance activities and nutrition education. Goal is to:
- Improve bone density
- Reduce falls
- Improve arthritis symptoms
- Increase flexibility
- Increase strength
Click here to view information about the next Strong Women class!
This medically-based fitness class is a no-impact class taught by certified Total Control instructors. Class begins with 15 minutes of education and is followed by 60 minutes of exercise to improve bladder and pelvic health. This program allows one to:
- Sleep through the night without rushing to the bathroom
- Relieve menopausal symptoms
- Improve pelvic weakness & bladder control
- Tone tummy & improve back strength
- Decrease activity-induced incontinence
Click here for more information.
This supervised exercise program has the option of meeting up to 5 days per week. Participants begin and end each exercise session having their blood pressure and blood oxygen levels measured.
- Balance U - Balance your body; help balance your life! Learn simple and progressive balance exercises that will aid in fall prevention and improve your focus in other workouts.
- Cycleates - A traditional cycling class followed by pilates moves.
- Cycling - Using indoor cycling bikes, this class will provide a fun and challenging cardiovascular workout for all levels.
- Forever Fit - A 30-minute, low impact cardio and sculpting class to keep you moving and get you fit, all to the beat of some classic tunes.
- Low Impact/Sculpt - Focus on improving your muscle tone, flexibility, balance and stability with the use of exercise balls, light dumbbells, exercise bands and cardio exercises.
- Mat Pilates - A series of movements that flow from one to another to help the core muscles strengthen and stretch.
- Pilates/Core - Increase your balance and stability while shaping and toning your midsection, incorporating the breathing techniques of Pilates.
- Relaxation Yoga - Focus on poses to gently stretch you from head to toe, ending in a soothing period of total relaxation.
- Yoga - Enjoy a mind-body experience focusing on breathing, posture, relaxation and meditation.
- Aqualatte - Water aerobics incorporating both cardio and resistance exercises through aquabells to help tone and sculpt your entire body.
- Joint Effort - Improve joint flexibility and relieve joint stiffness with this specialized water program for those living with arthritis.
- Pool Party - Make a splash in the pool with this mix of cardio and sculpt, set to the music you love from the 50’s and 60’s.
- Tribal Aqua - An expressive combination of yoga, breath and movement with uplifting music from around the world.
- Water Pilates - Bring the moves of pilates into the pool to strengthen your midsection and make you stronger.
- Water Yoga - Enjoy the same mind-body experience focusing on breathing, posture, relaxation and meditation in the warm water therapy pool.
Physical effects of massage:
- Muscle relaxation
- Increases alertness
- Promotes good joint function
- Increases circulation
- Reduces blood pressure & heart rate
- Improves immune function
- Reduces pain
- Aids in digestion
- Reduces colic in infants
- Increases oxygen flow
- Improves blood circulation
Psychological effects of massage:
- Increases mental clarity
- Reduces anxiety
- Promotes feelings of general well-being
WellSpa - more information and to schedule your massage