For just $35, you can have a PAD screening to detect build-up of fatty deposits in the arteries of the legs.
Schedule yours by
There are many reasons for leg pain, but one of them - although serious - can be treated best when found early. It's called P.A.D. (Peripheral Arterial Disease) and is caused by blockage in the arteries of the legs. It increases your risk of heart attack, stroke, amputation and death.
- Leg pain while walking which disappears with rest
- Numbness, tingling in hands or feet
- Cold hands or feet
- Loss or absence of hair on feet
- Changes in skin color
- Wounds on legs that won't heal
YES to any of these questions might mean you have PAD, which can cause the need for amputation of a limb if not caught early. PAD can also indicate you have artery disease, which could cause a blocked artery leading to a stroke or heart attack.
The cause of plaque buildup in the limbs is unknown in most cases. However, there are some conditions and habits that raise your chance of developing P.A.D.
Your risk increases if you:
- Are over the age of 50
- Smoke or used to smoke
- Have diabetes
- Have high blood pressure
- Have high blood cholesterol
- Have a personal history of vascular disease, heart attack or stroke
- Are African American. African Americans are more than twice as likely to have P.A.D. as their white counterparts
For just $35 Holy Family Memorial offers a PAD screening that is used to find build-up of fatty deposits in the arteries of the legs and can lead to blockage. Schedule yours by calling HFM Central Scheduling, 320-6777.
Learn more about additional lifesaving screenings for just $35 each at hfmhealth.org/healthylifescreens
For complete information on P.A.D. visit National Institutes of Health - Facts About Peripheral Arterial Disease.