Holy Family Memorial (HFM) recognizes that illness is complex. One condition can have multiple causes or manifest differently in different people. Which is where HFM’s new Functional Medicine program can help. This new service is provided by Dr. Derek Bown at HFM’s Harbor Town Campus, 1650 S. 41st Street in Manitowoc.
A very individualized approach to care, functional medicine identifies and determines the root cause of illness in a specific individual. Essentially, WHY is a person sick? Both patient-centered and scientifically based, functional medicine offers treatment customized to the individual.
Individuals with a wide variety of health conditions, such as allergies, arthritis, diabetes, digestive disorders, hormone imbalances and thyroid issues may find functional medicine to be beneficial.
Functional medicine includes:
- Review of health history
- Genetics—what physical and mental conditions run in your family
- Lifestyle—diet, work/life balance, physical activity, sleep patterns, stressors, hobbies
- Exposure to allergens—both at home and at work
- Targeted lab studies if necessary
This information sets the base of a personalized treatment plan that addresses what healthy living means for the individual. Treatment plans may include:
- Physical exercise directed toward your abilities
- Environmental adaptations for comfort or elimination of allergens
- Evaluation of daily activities to optimize patient wellness
- Nutrition and diet evaluation, including supplements where appropriate
To learn more about functional medicine and if it may be appropriate for you, visit hfmhealth.org.