The Emergency Department offers Manitowoc County the most comprehensive emergency services in the area. We are a Level III Trauma Center. With a team of full-time, emergency medicine physicians and specially trained ACLS-certified nurses, patients will receive the highest level of care.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, you should immediately go to the emergency room:
- Chest pain
- Severe shortness of breath
- Intense abdominal pain
- Stroke symptoms including trouble speaking, a sudden headache, confusion or trouble understanding other people, or numbness in your face, arm or leg
- Excessive bleeding
Emergency Department Features
Our emergency department is specially equipped to handle cardiac- and stroke-related emergency care:
- Standard protocols are in place to quickly rule out serious heart problems in patients with chest pain or other heart attack symptoms.
- Our emergency team has the ability to quickly consult with our cardiologists.
- Access to the cardiac cath lab, available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- Our team includes staff who are qualified to administer “clot-busting” medications for stroke patients, 24/7.
Other features of our emergency department include:
- Pediatric-sized equipment
- Sexual assault treatment program
- 24-hour laboratory, x-ray and pharmacy coverage
Designated Heart Attack Receiving Center
HFM offers the only 24/7 cardiac cath lab in Manitowoc and Sheboygan counties. Other area providers ship their heart patients either north to Green Bay or south to Grafton. Our leading-edge facilities and expert cardiac care team are right here, ready to begin treatment within minutes of entering our doors. And when it comes to a heart attack, every minute matters.
Intensive Care Unit
HFM also offers a 10-bed intensive care unit staffed by highly trained nurses and monitor technicians. In our intensive care unit:
- RNs are certified in advanced cardiac life support
- Chest pain protocols initiated in the emergency room are continued and a work up for cardiac disease can often be completed in 12-24 hours
- State-of-the-art monitoring equipment is used, including intra-aortic balloon pumps
- We bring the element of human caring to a highly technical area