Illnesses are complex. One condition can have multiple causes or manifest differently in different people. Which is where Functional Medicine can help.
A very individualized approach to care, Functional Medicine identifies and determines the root cause of illness in a specific individual. Essentially, WHY are you sick?
Both patient-centered and scientifically based, Functional Medicine allows you and you provider to target your treatment specifically to YOU and your needs.
HFM Harbor Town Campus
1650 S 41st Street
Manitowoc, WI 54220
Phone: (920) 320-4700
Who can benefit?
Anyone with a chronic health condition can benefit from functional medicine. Conditions include:
• Autoimmune diseases
• Cardiovascular disease
• Digestive disorders
• Insulin resistance
• Female hormone imbalances
• Male hormone imbalances
• Thyroid conditions
Does Functional Medicine replace my primary care provider?
No. Functional Medicine serves as a compliment to your ongoing care with your primary care provider. Our team remains connected with you and your primary care provider to ensure coordinated, high quality care at all times.
Is Functional Medicine Covered by Insurance?
In most cases Functional Medicine is not covered by insurance.
Functional Medicine Blogs
- Optimize Your Immune System September 20, 2021 Posted in: Blog, Functional Medicine - By Derek Bown, DC, HFM Functional Medicine For almost two years the world has had to learn how to stay safe while living amid Covid-19 and its variants. Vaccines, masking, social distancing, and even quarantining have been suggested and mandated with positive results. As we adapt to life with this virus—and we WILL—how can… Continue Reading
- Color, Color, Color! Take Advantage of the Food Rainbow August 16, 2021 Posted in: Functional Medicine - Summer is finally here! And filled with sunshine, warmth, colorful flowers and abundant fresh fruits and vegetables. This time of year is full of activity outside and in the kitchen. We can take advantage of the rainbow of colors provided by these foods to boost our nutritional status. Phytonutrients are “good chemicals” found in these… Continue Reading
- Allergy Immune April 2021 April 19, 2021 Posted in: Blog, Functional Medicine - Most of us who live along the lakeshore are excited by the prospect of springtime warmth and the seasonal changes that come with it. Many people with allergies struggle with these changes as their body reacts and adapts to them. Our body has an amazing immune system that protects us from things in our environment… Continue Reading
Derek Bown, DC
Dr. Derek Bown will meet with you to obtain a detailed medical history that includes:
• Review of health history
• Genetics—what physical and mental conditions run in your family
• Lifestyle—diet, work/life balance, physical activity, sleep patterns, stressors, hobbies
• Exposure to allergens—both at home and at work
• Targeted lab studies if necessary
With this information, Dr. Bown will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan to provide long-term improvement to your health and wellbeing.
Treatment plans may include recommendations for:
• Physical exercise directed toward your abilities
• Environmental adaptations for comfort or elimination of allergens
• Nutrition, including supplements where appropriate
Dr. Bown works with the NutriDyn program for this.