Are your legs feeling achy, itchy, painful, heavy or swollen?
You may have varicose veins which can be a sign of serious vein disease. Often thought of as a cosmetic nuisance, varicose veins can progress to a more serious form of venous disease called chronic venous insufficiency (CVI). If left untreated, CVI can develop into severe symptoms. Healthy leg veins have valves that open and close in order to assist blood heading back to the heart. When varicose veins form, the valves can become damaged, making it harder for the blood to head back to the heart. The valves then cannot close properly and can create swelling, ulcers, skin changes, and pain.
Signs and symptoms of varicose veins include:
- Large veins that you can see under the surface of your skin
- Mild swelling of your ankles and feet
- Painful, achy or “heavy” legs
- Throbbing or cramping in your legs
- Itchy legs, especially on the lower leg and ankle
- Discolored skin to the area around the varicose vein
2021 Varicose Vein Screening Events
Wednesday, May 19, from 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
If you’re experiencing discomfort, leg pain or swelling, take advantage of an inexpensive varicose vein screening with vascular surgeon Dr. Milan Jordan of HFM General & Vascular Surgery.
A varicose vein screening includes:
- A screening ultrasound of the leg veins
- Assessment of vein condition to determine if further testing/treatment is recommended
- 10-minute appointment
- Cost: $10