The HFM Emergency Department offers Manitowoc County the most comprehensive emergency services in the area. We are a Level III Trauma Center. With a team of full-time, emergency medicine physicians and specially trained ACLS-certified nurses, patients will receive the highest level of care.
Treatment for illness and injury can’t always wait for an appointment with your primary provider. Unsure which service is best for your need? This service guide can help. FLR_ServiceComparison_070820 (pdf file)
If you experience any of the following symptoms, you should immediately go to the emergency room:
- Chest pain
- Severe shortness of breath
- Intense abdominal pain
- Stroke symptoms including trouble speaking, a sudden headache, confusion or trouble understanding other people, or numbness in your face, arm or leg
- Excessive bleeding
Emergency Department Features
Our emergency department is specially equipped to handle cardiac- and stroke-related emergency care:
- Standard protocols are in place to quickly rule out serious heart problems in patients with chest pain or other heart attack symptoms.
- Our emergency team has the ability to quickly consult with our cardiologists.
- Access to the cardiac cath lab, available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- Our team includes staff who are qualified to administer “clot-busting” medications for stroke patients, 24/7.
Other features of our emergency department include:
- Pediatric-sized equipment
- Sexual assault treatment program
- Free blood-pressure screening 24 hours a day
- 24-hour laboratory, x-ray and pharmacy coverage
Our Emergency Department Providers
[our-team template=”grid3″ group=”emergency-medicine”]
Designated Heart Attack Receiving Center
HFM offers the only 24/7 cardiac cath lab in Manitowoc and Sheboygan counties. Other area providers ship their heart patients either north to Green Bay or south to Grafton. Our leading-edge facilities and expert cardiac care team are right here, ready to begin treatment within minutes of entering our doors. And when it comes to a heart attack, every minute matters.
Intensive Care Unit
HFM also offers a 10-bed intensive care unit staffed by highly trained nurses and monitor technicians. In our intensive care unit:
- RNs are certified in advanced cardiac life support
- Chest pain protocols initiated in the emergency room are continued and a work up for cardiac disease can often be completed in 12-24 hours
- State-of-the-art monitoring equipment is used, including intra-aortic balloon pumps
- We bring the element of human caring to a highly technical area
We offer educational classes and instruction to the local community. Regional education is available upon request with our HFMThinkFirst@hfmheatlh.org email or call (920) 320-2082.